Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Thursday, 14th December, 2006

"What a rich and full life you do lead, Rosie," said one of my neighbours. "Really?" I replied, "do you think so?" "Oh, yes," he said, "all those young people coming and going - obviously at the lower end of the socio-economic scale, but they all seem very happy."

I've rented this house for over five years now, the longest I've stayed anywhere since I left home at age 17 - two years is usually my limit - and over those years it has been home to around 26 people and a stopping-off place for many travellers, with vans parked out the back and a tent in the garden to accommodate overflows. I love living like this, love the constant change, love learning not to worry about paying the rent but to trust my life's process, using as my mentor Buckminster Fuller who, in his "Bucky's Self-disciplines" states that he will commit whole-heartedly to his own personal philosophy and pay no attention to "earning a living" in humanity's established economic system, yet find that his family's and his own needs are provided for by seemingly pure happenstance and always only in the nick of time.

This "only in the nick of time" business has been scary, like leaping off the trapeze time after time, ever trusting there will be outstretched hands waiting to catch me and I have to fly through the fear again and again. Bucky's "by seemingly pure happenstance" fits in well with Cartier-Bresson's "ultra-receptive posture" and reminds me to be open and willing, always "in a state of grace with chance" so that my life (my work of art) gains an elegance, a lighthearted flowing dance, moving effortlessly, for all appearances just for the fun of it, yet directed by a deep and determined unknowable purpose that must be taken on trust.

I am at my best living in community, laughing and crying with others (although there are no "others", only "us" - and there is more laughter than tears), following no set patterns of daily life, no routines, never knowing who will be here and who won't, so that spontaneity is constantly invited and anticipated and we gather together by seeming accident. I am cossetted here amongst these lovely people, overwhelmed by their generosity, delighted by their presence - the turn of a head, the bend of an arm, the curve of a shoulder, is enough to make me catch my breath.

We live with open doors and open hearts, here at the lower end of the socio-economic scale - a rich and full life indeed.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post Rosie. I quite agree.

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo Rosie,
Delighted that you're still promoting anti-consumerist messages. An old friend, ion x

12:28 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

aaron and ion! So pleased that you both popped in - thank you. xxx

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captured the lovely Quirky well there rosie....
Love it as much as you do xx Holly

3:42 PM  
Blogger Nicky said...

Looking forward to once again being one of the many from the lower end of the socio-economic scale that regularly passes through your home. Just 2 more sleeps to go!!

Nicky xxxx

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home