Sunday, November 19, 2006

Monday, 20th November 2006

Just returned from a weekend in the bush where I attended an outdoor theatre production of "The Wind in the Willows" and we wandered happily through the balmy night following the delightful adventures of Ratty, Mole, Badger and, of course, the irrepressible Toad. These brief sojourns into the countryside are always pleasurable and, as ever, I wondered whether I could live away from the city but I generally come back to the conclusion that it is the contrast between city and bush which satisfies me: I love the one because I know I also have the other. Returning to Sydney each time and seeing the harbour, the bridge and the city spread out before me, lights all a-twinkle, a fairyland reflecting in the water, makes my heart fit to burst with joy. It's the people, of course - Whitman said, "Sometimes to press my body against that of someone else is about as much as I can bear", so the fact that I have four million people pressing against me here is an unbearable ecstasy.

This is not for a moment to suggest that country folk aren't the best of the best - there's just not enough of them and they are spread so sparsely. I do appreciate that this gives me a chance to commune with nature but gum trees aren't known for their slick repartee and the witticisms of the wombat have yet to be chronicled. And it's true that here in the city I don't have the noise of the frogs in the dam to lull me to sleep but there are the speeding police cars, wailing sirens, raucous drunken singing and the occasional sound of breaking glass to remind me that I am cradled in the bosom of my own species. I rest content.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading all you wrote I can only say thanks to the universe for people like you to give people like me the kick in the ass they need from time to time.
You've always been in my heart the Queen of life.

Kasha

3:13 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kasha, how lovely to hear from you! Thank you, darling - will we ever see you downunder again?
xxx

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home