Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Thursday, 16th November 2006

It's a wild, wild day - the coldest Sydney November morning since 1905, the wind and rain lashing around and in the Blue Mountains bushfires and snow are co-existing. How mad is that? Having survived bushfires and floods, I ponder now and then what is in store for me next - pestilence or famine. Probably famine, as Western agricultural methods have just about annihilated this sunburnt country and the topsoil blows into the dry gashes in the landscape which once were rivers and creeks. Apparently 98% of New South Wales is in drought and we are being warned about food shortages which could be a rather drastic cure for the obesity crisis, although I'm surprised that the same remedial action hasn't been initiated as has been employed against us smokers - signs at the entrance to all public places reading: "NO SMOKING NO FAT PEOPLE" - subtle, but effective. This might mean that there will always be more people standing around outside shopping malls than there are people inside and the thin non-smokers will have to gain entry by running a gauntlet of aromas - tobacco smoke curling around steamy meat pies, hamburgers and hot chips. [I'd put one of those smiley faces here if I knew how to do it].

Going into a shopping mall for me is one step down from putting hot needles in my eyes. Fortunately, my children don't ask me any more as I turn the whole expedition to misery for them with my running commentary on our pathetic consumer-driven, materialistic society and the exploitation of people less fortunate and "... are you really intending to pay $59 for that scrap of material no bigger than a handkerchief which is supposed to be a garment, made by some poor women in a hell hole working for a pittance, and which is probably worth 50 cents and all the profits have gone to some greedy fat cat blah blah blah ..." So now I just sit in the car and wait for them and idle the time away by imagining a tsunami coursing through the place (at night, of course, with no people around), the power of the water carrying away its contents, sucking them with it as it recedes into the ocean and then all is quiet and still and peaceful - the consumer goods consumed at last!

Oh, I feel quite heady after that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for observing such chaos and weaving it so effortlessly on the magical loom of humour and wisdom - then to produce a flying carpet for us to cruise around on and look upon the mad world we've created!
Cheers, Mum. All my Love

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home